Introduce yourself 👋

Hello! :wave:

New to the Literarium Community? Welcome aboard!

I’m Lucas, one of the creators of Literarium along with my good friend @tom.dullemond. Together we’ve been building a productivity tool for writers to help make managing your literary works, tasks, and submissions much easier, along with providing a market directory with powerful search tools to help you quickly find the most suitable markets for your work.

We’ve been working on Literarium for the past several years and continue to plan for its future. We’ve created this forum to help us reach out to our users to better understand what features they’d like to see in LIterarium, and to foster a community of literary folk sharing a mutual love of writing.

We hope you enjoy using Literarium. Please feel free to introduce yourself below. We’d love to get to know you.

And I’m Tom Dullemond, briefly referenced above, and living in Brisbane, Australia. I write and publish short fiction so I use Literarium to force myself to feel the same pain and/or joy as all of you out there!

Hello Tom. I retired in 2005 after a 35-year career as an engineer in the aerospace industry. After retirement I graduated from computer gaming and modding said games as a hobby to writing fanfiction and poetry: 2 + novels - For a Few Bottlecaps More (Fallout New Vegas), Dancing Claws and Double Dealing (Morrowind), A Paw Swift Like Thunder (Morrowind). Much of my work is awaiting republication after the website I was publishing on ceased to function, but Wattpad has a miscellaneous sampling of prose and poetry under John Baumgartner (@baumgartnerJP) and the Commaful Poetry and FanFic site https://commaful.com/play/baumgartnerjp/ has a ‘graphic poem’ paraphrasing the work of Emily Dickson and Stan Rogers into the work of the Bethesda Game Studio’s post-apocalypse RPG “New Vegas”.

Anyway to continue, I’m raising my creative difficulty bar and attempting to create the types of science fiction and fantasy that I’ve enjoyed reading ever since I first encountered Edgar Rice Burroughs as a preteen in the school library. My first lesson is that it’s incredibly more difficult and satisfying to create a milieu than to work from one already created by a game studio. Cracking the markets identified by Literarium is more competitive than I expected and that is the lesson I’m currently trying to learn.

Hey JeePers! Yeah, I spent some time in the early 2000s on forums writing my own serial fiction and getting positive feedback but w transition to ‘professional’ (ie. getting paid) was slow and painful. There are few professional outlets that will give you the feedback you need to figure out how to fine tune your work, and I ended up discovering that one of the most valuable things was to form a group of fellow authors and do beta-reading of my new work. Getting constructive criticism (the constructive part is important) really helped shape my writing so that now I earn at least a bit of beer/pocket money from submissions! :joy:

Thanks Tom - I had an opportunity to do some beta reading for another fanfic writer and turned it down because I felt that I would have a tendency to inject too much of my opinions and ‘improvements’ into the other writer’s work. There’s a fine line there and I was hesitant to try it. I’ll keep an eye out in the future for another opportunity and give it a try.

Oh yeah that’s a valid concern. But learning to balance your own opinions/style with what you think the other author is trying to do is a useful skill in and of itself :wink: And of course you get a chance to have them read your work and try the same.

Salutations, @duckaroy and @tom.dullemond. Thanks for creating Literarium and this forum! Literarium is a truly excellent tool.

I’m not a published author/writer, unless one were to count a few workshop and summer camp victories from decades ago, but I’ve written a lot of niche items for people to enjoy while playing various video games (not fan fiction, strangely, just invitational “build the lore” works) and stuff that gets posted to deviantArt. As a result, the disappointed face that one gets from a negative answer to the question “are you a professional author?” has become less a pin prick and more an elephant goad. So, together with some correspondence courses to get me into the habit of writing more regularly, I’m using Literarium to track current unaffiliated works and force myself to be brave and submit them to markets.

Maybe some day, instead of “no,” I’ll be able to respond to the starry-eyed question with “no, but I’ve published in…” Wouldn’t that be nice?

Keep writing and keep submitting is the mantra! ‘Imposter syndrome’ is something even oft-published authors run into - they’ll have a handful of published novels and still feel awkward identifying as a writer.

Welcome @SourceRunner, thanks for your feedback so far on the product. Glad to hear you’re getting value out of it!

I don’t check in often - but I read your post and good for you. I too had fun with the RPG game and mod sites. I started near 20 years ago with Morrowind and the tool kit and moved on through the Elder Scrolls and Fallout product lines. I found my FanFic audiences to be very small but tending to be appreciative and supportive . This I found a year or so ago not be the case in the commercial world. I was shocked to find that a submittal cycle can involve hundreds of entries _ it is fierce here but entry is free and can be fun if you can keep your ego off line. Anyway the editors have it worse in an industry where the publishing base is probably just as crowded and competitive for the shrinking readership as it is for the writing base.

Thank you for the encouragement, @JeePers! Also, very many congratulations on the appreciative fanbase! That’s truly excellent, and adds to the positive things I’ve heard about the Elder Scrolls community; with such a rich lore environment to mine and build, it seems like it would be so easy to step on someone’s mental toes, but that doesn’t seem to ever happen there. The appreciative fanbase in the FallOut community is something of a surprise, since I’ve heard they can be phenomenally touchy; kudos to you for determining how to write to please there! How did you do it? Did you find any changes were necessary given some of the slight retooling that happened with FallOut 4?

You indicated in your initial post that you’re enjoying writing science fiction entirely of your own creation, now. Wonderful! Are you finding any particular niches you like best or styles you prefer using? Burroughs is a great inspiration, and there are so many ways to branch out from there… Who are your favorite modern space opera, hard core, and cyber punk authors?

Hey Source Runner nice to hear from you.

Since you asked I’ll hold forth on my the authors whom I want to emulate - for Steampunk I have soft spots for Larry Correia in particular ‘The Grimnoir Chronicles’ which I think is by far the best in the Steampunk genre but his Monster Hunter Series is a blast, Jim Butcher’s ‘Dresden Files’ are good for many a reread as are Benedict Jaka’s Alex Versus novels. For pure exuberant Space Opera - David Drake’s RCN Series is always a good escapist reread. For classic Murder Mysteries Alan Bradley’s ‘Flavia de Luce’ is a laugh and Charles Todd (mother & son team of authors) ‘Inspector Rutledge’ is always a good read.

My FanFic and FanFic poetry (3 years worth) went down with the website I was publishing on but I’m slowly putting it onto Wattpad (baumgartnerJP) and Commaful (baumgartnerjp).